~~ Psalm 91:11-14 (NIV84) ~~ For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent. “Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
by Carley Cooper
|Photo by Carla Cooper|
One of many Angels in my collection
All Copyrights Reserved
It’s official! The angel series of blogs I’ve been writing have taken on a life of their own. I really did innocently started out just to share in a three article series a few interesting angel stories. Then, it kept growing. Again, this week I’m finding myself writing more about angels. This time, at the request of a reader who wanted to know more about what the bible says about angels. I’m wondering if this, the seventh article, will be the final one. Since I always pray that God leads me in my writing and the messages I share, and seven is His favorite I believe that it He’s been the life behind this all along.
Here’s a brief overview of the series so far:
- In the first post (Angels From Heaven) I talked about how people in our lives can be like angels sent by God to help us. I shared a poem I wrote to someone special in my life who has been like an angel for me.
- In the second post (Who Is Your Guardian Angel?) I talked about how God has given us angels, celestial beings, to protect us; to keep us from danger. Sometimes, if we are paying close enough attention, we will even get to see our angels as they’re digging us out of a pit that we got ourselves into! My friend and author, Paul Duarte, experienced this first hand; literally! As a Worship Melodies Guest Author, he shared his personal true story of being rescued by an angel from a situation that could have been fatal, on a cold winter day.
- In the third post (I Think I Just Saw An Angel) I talked about how God uses angels, of all types, to redirect us and keep us from getting into dangerous situations; or to keep us from wandering into a place that was never in His will for us to be. I shared my own angel story about a woman who pulled me back when I was about to go ‘over the edge’.
- Then, in the fourth post (The Warm and Fuzzy Side of Angels) I talked about how our angels are there to give us comfort in our time of need.
- The fifth article (Angels: A Jack-of-All-Trades!) I gave a brief overview of what the bible says about angels.
- Finally, in the last article (How My Angel Fell Off the Edge of Heaven) I talked about fallen angels; specifically how I feel like I am the fallen angel in a painful situation in my own life, and how different the world looks when someone you love sees you in a different light.
In addition to all the purposes that they serve that we’ve already covered there are other interesting points as well. The bible tells us that God sends out His angels to guard us (For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways ~ Psalm 91:11 (NIV84)) . God sent angels to protect Daniel by having them shut the mouths of the lions so Daniel wouldn’t be killed by the lions (My God sent his angel, and he shut the mouths of the lions. They have not hurt me, ~ Daniel 6:22 TNIV) Now that’s pretty awesome protection, and it wasn’t Daniel’s only interaction with an angel!
We are also told that there are those here on earth who are actually angels and we may not realize it or recognize them as angels. We should be careful of what we say and how we treat others because we could in fact be interacting with an angel. ~Hebrews 13:2 (TNIV) says “Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.”
We are told that angels will take care of us when we need it (Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him. ~Matthew 4:11 TNIV).
Angels will point us in the right direction when we need it. I mean, literally! They’re better than a GPS any day. Just ask Phillip! ‘Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Go south to the road—the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.”‘ ~Acts 8:26 TNIV
They will also help get you out of a mess if you find yourself in a sticky situation and God needs you to be somewhere else. That’s what happened to Peter when an angel sprung him out of prison! (But during the night an angel of the Lord opened the doors of the jail and brought them out. “Go, stand in the temple courts,” he said, “and tell the people all about this new life.” ~Acts 5:19-20 TNIV)
God’s angels are also worriers and fight in battles, and He will also send an angel ahead of Him in the last days to announce His coming, when He comes down from Heaven to gather His children together to separate them from those of the world. (For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. ~1 Thessalonians 4:16 TNIV)
There is so much that we can know about God’s angels that can help us feel secure. We can have a secure sense of protection because God loves us so much that He gives that to us. God has armies of angels working for Him. They are there to worship and obey Him. Angels can be visible or invisible, they can appear as humans or shiny and full of glory, and they can be good or evil. They can be guardians, guide, messengers, encouragers, comforters, attendants, deliverers, teachers, providers, and rescuers. Whatever God needs them to do for Him or for us, they are there to worship and serve. (The LORD has established his throne in heaven, and his kingdom rules over all. Praise the LORD, you his angels, you mighty ones who do his bidding, who obey his word. Praise the LORD, all his heavenly hosts, you his servants who do his will. Praise the LORD, all his works everywhere in his dominion. Praise the LORD, my soul. ~Psalm 103:19-22 TNIV)
~~ Dear God ~~ You are so awesome. There is no need that we have that You have not provided for. Thank You for the angels that You surround me with every day that help keep me encouraged, protected, comforted and provide me with everything I need to keep me on the path that leads toward You. Please don’t let me ever leave this path. I want to be headed toward You and getting closer to You with each and every day. In Jesus name, AMEN.